GR City Lights
Date:July 21 2015
This photo looks over the Grand River and highlights the Blue Footbridge, formerly the Grand Rapids & Indiana Railroad bridge. The original railroad bridge was built in 1868; replaced in 1874, and then destroyed in 1883 during the great log jam. The current bridge was finally rebuilt in 1892 and is the oldest railroad bridge in the city. Trains crossing this bridge traveled between Muskegon and Mackinaw City. When rail traffic ceased in the 1980s, the span was restored, painted its distinctive blue color, and became a pedestrian walkway across the Grand River known as the Blue Bridge.