“The Shaker Village at Alfred, Maine, 1845 (detail)” by Joshua H. Bussell
Medium:Poster reproduction of original 1845 illustration
Height: 22 in
Width: 28 in
Grid map depicting various buildings and fields in a nineteenth century Shaker village.
The Alfred Shaker Village was home to Maine's oldest and largest Shaker community. The village was founded in 1793 with a goal to live a simple life in harmony, respect nature, and produce well-made or cared for agricultural or material products. Due to the inability to compete against manufactured goods, the dwindling members of the village moved to the Sabbathday Lake Shaker Village in 1931 where the last remaining active Shaker members live to this day.