Height: 21 in
Width: 25 in
A woodland scene with greens, oranges, and yellows.
Franklin Carmichael worked as a carriage striper at his father's carriage works in Orillia, Ontario before coming to Toronto in 1911 to pursue his artistic ambitions. He soon found himself the associate of Tom Thompson, J.E.H. MacDonald and other commercial artists who were exploring new ways to paint the Canadian landscape. In 1913, he went to Antwerp, Belgium to study painting but returned to Toronto n 1914 with the outbreak of war. He continued to work in commercial art and painted in his spare time. In 1920, Carmichael participated in the founding of the Group of Seven. In 1932, he was appointed Head of Graphic and Commercial Art at the Ontario College of Art. - Adapted at McMichael Canadian Art Collection. This piece was purchased at the McMichael Canadian Art Collection Gallery.