Grand Rapids architect, Ralph W. Demmon, married Camelia Alten, daughter of artist Mathias J Alten.
Ralph attended Grand Rapids Central High School, then Michigan Agricultural College for two years. In 1917, he enlisted in the Air Corp.
He served in the Air Corp photographic section of the 91st Aero Squadron Division, Photos Section 2 in France during WWI.
After the war he received a B.S. in Architecture from University of Michigan (1923). He became a registered architect in 1924 and began his career at the firm Osgood and Osgood. In 1927 he opened his own practice, completing most of his projects in the Grand Rapids area between 1930 and 1950.
He is best known for designing the war memorial pillars in the Fulton Street Veterans' Park in Grand Rapids, MI.
He retired in 1963, after which the Altens lived in Naubinway, Michigan and Sarasota, Florida.