"The Albany Art Union was a commercial portrait photography studio active in
Albany, New York, from approximately 1897 to 1968. An entry for the Albany Art
Union first appeared in the Albany City Directory in 1897 at which time it was located at
55 North Pearl Street. The 1903 Directory contained an advertisement noting the studio’s
new location at 48 North Pearl Street. Documents in the collection outline the sale of the
Albany Art Union to the Griffin Art Company in January of 1910 by George S. Fulton.
The Griffin Art Company subsequently sold the studio to L. Washington Bergh (1884-
1968) in 1924. In 1946 the studio once again changed location, this time moving to 51
Maiden Lane. The Albany Art Union closed upon the death of Bergh (its photographer
and president); it was not listed in the Albany City directory after 1968. "
Related objectUntitled (Portrait of Edna Mitchell Cornell Platinum)